This is the Edward Morin House, the oldest house in Evans Churchill, dating from 1909. The Historic Preservation Commission initiated HP zoning on this property in 2004, largely at the request of the community, but then withdrew the case after the owner, The Orcutt/Winslow Partnership, protested and committed to the HP Commission that they would keep the HP Commission apprised far in advance of any sale of the property and any plans to demolish or redevelop the site. Because there is no historic preservation zoning, the house could be demolished as soon as Tuesday of next week.
What you can do? You are welcome to express your opinion about this matter to:
- The Honorable Michael Johnson, Member of Council for the district in which the structure is located, 602-262-7493
- The Honorable Doug Lingner, Member of Council & Chair of the Housing, Neighborhoods, and Historic Preservation Subcommittee, 602-262-7492
- The Honorable Phil Gordon, Mayor of Phoenix, 602-262-7111
- Cynthia Seelhammer, Deputy City Manager, 602-262-6941
- Barbara Stocklin, Historic Preservation Officer, 602-262-7468
- Evans Churchill Community Association, 602-614-8727