[Source: Sedona.biz] -- The City of Sedona’s Historic Preservation (HP) Commission is excited to announce that the Hart Store has been named to the National Register of Historic Places. This is only the second property in Sedona to be listed on the National Register. The first to be listed was the Walter and Ruth Jordan farmstead in Jordan Historical Park, home to the Sedona Heritage Museum. The state’s Historic Site Review Committee approved that the Hart Store, Sedona’s first store, be listed on the state register in July. They then forwarded their recommendation to the ‘Keeper’ in Washington D.C. The City HP Commission and the property owner were notified last week of this honor. The Hart Store is the oldest intact commercial building in Sedona.
Located at the intersection of Brewer and Ranger roads, the Hart Store was part of Sedona’s original commercial center. It was built for L.E. ‘Dad’ Hart in 1926. As Sedona’s first and only store in the 1920s-30s, Hart ran a general store and gas station. When public electricity came to town, the store was the first private building to hook-up after ‘Dad’ Hart helped get the line installed. After the main road was re-routed to today’s ‘Y’ in 1939, the store was remodeled into a duplex and was used for residential purposes until Annemarie Hunter and Jac Robson purchased and restored it. It is now a store again and home to the ‘Hummingbird House’ which features art, home decor and gifts. The historic Hart Store was designated a Sedona Historic Landmark in 2002 and Annemarie and Jac’s extensive repair and restoration was honored by KSB in 2003 with an award for ‘exemplary renovation and use of a historic property.’ [Note: To read the full article, click here.]