Monday, December 17, 2007

The good, the bad, and the ugly in Nogi (op-ed)

[Source: Marcelino Varona Jr., Nogales International] -- Abrazos y Coscorrones... COSCORRONES to our moment of crisis. I still remember the time when former Arizona governor and U.S. Secretary of the Interior Bruce Babbitt walked into the old Nogales Flower Shop on Morley Avenue while on the campaign trial and marveled about the beauty and relevance of the building. Gov. Babbitt questioned my father about the history of the building and that is when I myself learned about the hotel on the top part of the building. So after my father worked in the building for more than 40 years and it was torn down it left a substantial void. It even had the same little heater for the entire 40 years. My father was never much for change. As he would say, "Leave things as they are."

So what did we learn to take care of our past? If we as a community are really interested in historic preservation, commercial and neighborhood, why not visit Telluride, Colo., and implement its preservation guidelines. Main Street Telluride is the closest you will ever come to Nogales 100 years ago.