Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Dig in to history: Check out Tucson's past at these restaurants

[Source: Tom Stauffer, Tucson Citizen] -- I'm always hesitant to put out lists of the best-anything, as I usually leave off one or more items that deserve inclusion or include one or more that deserve to be left off. That's why when it came time to work up a list of Tucson's best historical dining spots, I went straight to the best source I could find - R. Brooks Jeffery, coordinator of preservation studies at the University of Arizona College of Architecture, Planning and Landscape Architecture.

Jeffery, who co-authored "A Guide to Tucson Architecture" with Anne M. Nequette, signed off on this unofficial list of local eateries that offer a nice variety of cuisine. Jeffery also lobbied hard for a sentimental favorite that didn't make the list but earned a mention here - Pat's Drive-In, 1201 N. Grande Ave. "I insist that Pat's be included on the list," Jeffery said, only half-jokingly. "I'm proud to put my name next to that one as some of our best historic dining. It may not be that old, but it's classic as drive-ins go."

[Note: To read the full article, click here. Photo source: Val Canez, Tucson Citizen. Pictured: The Cushing Street Bar & Restaurant, 198 W. Cushing St., originally a home, then a store.]